Tuesday 9 April 2013

Healthy Breakfast Ideas.

 


I have spoken to lots of people on the topic of breakfast. When I was at my largest I wasn't eating breakfast at all, by lunch I was having a chocolate bar and by lunch I NEEDED carbs. Even when I was dieting and skipping breakfast I wasn't losing a pound. Breakfast is super super important! It breaks the fast and boosts your metabolism. And in my experience, it puts you in a better mood! So I thought about the things I like for breakfast and had a gander online and have compiled some ideas to get you started! 

My personal favourite is fruit with yoghurt, sprinkled with some seeds or oats for extra goodness and texture. Natural yoghurt is best but I do not like it so I went with Muller Greek style. YUM! As for fruit, be careful what you are eating, most of it is good but some of it is high in natural sugar and can be just as bad for you as sweets. More to come on fruit. 
\https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9HFi3UYJpfH3rKZDXHvysGvxgQT6ZTOwJUXvhFjHLShiTWWS5

Another thing the personal trainer advised us to give up was dairy. So that meant cereal was out! For me, my belly felt much better when dairy was out of the equation, I wasn't so bloated or queasy. Plus, there are some great alternatives out there, and once your insulin has leveled out (after about 2 weeks of living like a caveman), you can introduce a little back in. Porridge made with water is a good starter if you can eat it, I personally did not enjoy at all, even though the smell was divine!

Also, avoid energy bars! Just no good at all. 

 Jessica Ainscough's Wellness Warrior smoothie
Green smoothies are one of my favourite breakfasts - stick some spinach and fruit of your choice in a blender and wahey. I found lots of recipes online but in the end I just experimented with fruits that I liked, my favourite was spinach, pineapple and mango. Don't be put off by the idea of drinking spinach, you can barely taste it. The health benefits to these are amazing and definitely worth a try, especially if like me you aren't especially keen on greens. Here are Four green smoothie recipes but remember to experiment with your own! 

Asparagus soldiers with a soft-boiled egg
Another nice idea from BBC Recipes is Asparagus soldiers with a soft boiled egg. Good if you want to start the day with something a bit more substantial than fruit juices!

And of course, everyone needs an alternative to the cooked sunday breakfast. For me it was all about the omelette. This is a great start to the morning and keeps you full for hours! 2 eggs, add a little water, fry up. A good tip for frying is coconut oil instead of olive oil or vegetable oil. Coconut oil actively helps you to burn calories. And it doesn't taste at all like coconuts! Give it a go! It is available in Hollands and Barratts but is about 3000 times more expensive. I picked up a cheap bottle in the foreign food section of Asda. 
 

As for fillings you can add what you want but I always liked Turkey Rashers (super low calorie alternative to bacon and tastier because there is no fat!) and mushrooms but you can add what you like. I do know people who prefer their omelette without the yolk because it is healthier but my opinion is that as it is in the morning and you are going to be using up all your energy, then go for the yolk! 


Hope these ideas are helpful! Please comment with any of your own breakfast ideas below. The more we share, the better this blog will become! :)






2 comments:

  1. Love these ideas. Have you ever used frozen spinach in your breakfast shake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Will post some more this week. I do use frozen spinach sometimes as it is cheaper and more convenient. I'm not sure i prefer it though, all the goodness goes!

    ReplyDelete