Thursday 11 April 2013

Tips to curb sugar and carb cravings!




Sugar and carb cravings are the worst! That feeling you get where you need sugar now and nothing you can do will stop it. For me, it isn't even about needing the energy. I just like the taste of sugar and sugary things and if I have them in the house, I need to eat them. At one stage I could polish off several chocolate bars a night. Then, I looked at the calories in each of my favourite chocolate bar and it wasn't good. With this in mind I have compiled a list of my own and other tips to stop you needing that energy boost!

1. Have a plan or a goal. This always makes me more motivated, I have something to aim for. Make it visual, write your calorie intake down, pin it up (this is a good general weight loss tip anyway!). This way, you are thinking about what you eat and when you eat it. I prefer to use MyFitnessPal App (on Apple and Android) - it is super easy to use, you just type in your food or scan the barcode and hey presto. 

2. Eat more protein. You will be fuller for longer and sometimes our bodies can confuse the cravings for protein for that of sugar.

3. REMOVE TEMPTATION! This is possibly the most important one. If you have a cupboard full of chocolate bars and crisps (or whatever your guilty pleasures might be!) then it will be easy to cave in. Last night my other half brought me some chocolate from Paris. Of course I had to eat it because it was in my house and then I had a massive sugar high, followed by crash, followed by guilt. Not good. But when it isn't in the house, I don't think about it. When I first started to diet I scoured the house just for some chocolate in my desperate times but eventually it went away! 

4. Distract yourself. Every time you want some chocolate, do something else instead! If it is active, even better. Take the dog out, go for a walk, read a book, have a bath. Anything to take your mind off the need for Jelly Beans. 

5. Check labels. If you are eating pre-packaged food, check the nutritional labels, you would be surprised how much sugar is hidden in some foods. This will make your addiction harder to kick. 

6. Sugar free gum is a lifesaver. Trick your brain into thinking you are eating sugary treats! 

7. Reach for fruit. Keep fruit handy for when sugar cravings hit. You'll get fiber and nutrients along with some sweetness. And stock up on foods like nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.

8. Eat regularly.  If you wait a long time between meals you are likely to need something to keep your energy up. There is a reason a lot of celebs eat a little more often. It stops the need to snack between meals and keeps the waistline small. 

9. Cold Turkey. Sugar is an addiction and like other addictions, a good way to kick it is to stop it altogether. Those first three days are horrendous but it does get better. I promise. I would survive on chocolate if I could and I managed it. 

10. Don't think that artificial sweeteners are the way forward. They don't stop you craving sugar and have been linked to some nasty illnesses. Train yourself to drink your tea without sugar or use honey instead. 


Hope some of these tips help you. try to mix it up, try them and see what works for you. Share your tips below. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment